Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year, New Blog

Since my web site never really worked (it was a do-it-yourself project with Microsoft Publisher, a disappointing program that only allowed viewing by people using Internet Explorer), I'm converting my Orange County Nature Writing journey into blog format.

My hope for this blog: to raise awareness of the natural beauty and value of our local wild lands.

During my training as a volunteer naturalist, we learned about what it means to be a good docent: it's all about interpretation. I give you a multi-syllabic definition from the National Association of Interpretation web site: "Interpretation is a mission-based communication process that forges emotional and intellectual connections between the interests of the audience and the meanings inherent in the resource."

In other words: I want to let folks know how amazing our Orange County wild lands are, and I hope, as people experience these places for themselves, they will feel a connection and want to preserve them . . . ( . . . whatever "preserve" means . . . as with all environmental issues, it's complicated. Complicated, but definitely worth the discussion.)

As 2010 launches us into a new year of opportunity, I'm also hoping that this blog will help give momentum to the Orange County nature writing anthology that I plan to work on this year.

Do you have a story to tell (in poetry or prose) about your experiences in Orange County's wild lands? (loosely defined as containing at least one native plant, critter, or rock)?

Write away!

No comments:

Post a Comment